How to Backpack with a Stoma

One of the things I find in life is to never give up on things that bring you joy.  Even when really hard times come I think it is always worth fighting to retain the joys you have even when life tries to take them away.  This can go for a whole bunch of areas in life but injuries and surgeries are the places that I have always tried to overcome to enjoy what I love doing.  What I really love doing is being outside and backpacking.  Backpacking is a part of my life that has always given me some of the greatest times and personal areas of growth in my life.  When I heard that an Ostomy was scheduled and I was going into surgery I knew that it would not be the end of my backpacking career.  Instead, I was going to find a way to enjoy the great outdoors again and fight through.

 


What I did first was to get through my surgery and get on the track to recovery.  I first made up my mind to get back into it when I got home from the hostpital.  I took a few weeks to learn the ropes and get past the learning curve.  Then when I understood what ostomy gear worked for me I knew I had to learn how to do the hard stuff and be active with my stoma.  Within a few months, I was working on my body to be able to get back up carrying the weight and getting my abs back into shape.

 


I worked slow and took my time walking, hiking, and going to the gym.  It was a long road and was not easy, but I have hurt my ankle so many times that I knew it was going to be some work.  So I thrived to learn how to use the right size ostomy bags and the right belts to keep it tight on my body.  I found out what gear worked for me and what didn't.  Then once my body was strong enough I turned to the actual gear of backpacking.  This was the fun part to me because I love gear and finding ways to do things the best with the most interesting pieces of gear.

 


I learned first off that I needed a lighter backpack.  I was going to need to bring more ostomy gear with me and that meant I wanted to offset it with a lighter kit.  So I looked into the realm of ultralight backpacks.  This also was needed because I didn't want to risk my stoma gear getting caught on my hipbelt.  This was a whole difficult task because to get a backpack this light and without a pack, I needed to go ultralight on all of my gear.  So that is what I did. I found ultralight backpacking youtube channels and forums online and went to town getting the lightest weight gear in the world.

 

My backpack now weighs about 1 lb and my sleeping bag which is now a quilt weigh one pound as well. It was amazing to start getting my gear down to super lightweight.  My tent weighs three pounds and all in all I can go out and backpack with a 15lb pack.  That allows me to be able to do this all without a hipbelt and not to harm my body.  To be honest I am better now than I was before my stoma.

Comments